Shiloh Baptist Church was organized in 1847 by Elders E.C. Williams and Phillip Hammond. Mark Kiser of Meadow Branch (now Wingate), North Carolina and Mary Courtney Massey of Spring Hill, South Carolina were charter members. A brush arbor was used for the worship services. Nathan Brooks was the first pastor.
Land for the church was deeded by Abram Helms and wife Tarsey in 1884.
The first building was a log structure. It was taken down and reassembled where it is now on the late V.T. Helms farm near the airport. The church voted in 1889 to build a new sanctuary. That building stood until 1937. The records from 1847 until 1884 are missing or not recorded. However, one can surmise from the 1880-1890 accounts the following: the church erected a building between the original and the one voted in 1889 or used the school building across the road. The membership was near 200 during this period. A rather large structure was needed, much larger than the original. The thirtieth annual session of the Moriah Association met at Shiloh in 1884. The association extended from Matthews to Wadesboro, Anson County and included Chesterfield, South Carolina.
During the 1700’s and 1800’s it was customary to build a schoolhouse and a church on adjoining lots or the same lot. This could compensate for the church not owning land until 1884.
On July 25, 1937 the church voted to build a new sanctuary and classrooms. The building completed in 1891 was razed. The congregation worshiped in a school building while the new one was being erected.
The church began full-time service in 1945. A six room parsonage was built.
The organizational emphasis begun in the early forties created the need for additional space. Tem classrooms were added in 1949. During 1960 an educational building was added; it included 14 classrooms, three assemblies, three restrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall.
The present sanctuary was dedicated on August 13, 1972. The lower level of the north educational wing was used for worship services while the sanctuary was being erected.
A family ministry center, including pre-school facilities, was dedicated on July 14, 1991.
In 1997 Shiloh celebrated its 150th anniversary. Due to rapid growth in the late 1990’s, additional space was needed. A renovation of the present educational space and an addition that included new Sunday School rooms, a choir room and an office suite was proposed. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on March 29, 1998. The new building was dedicated on March 14, 1998.
Additional land adjacent to the present church property was purchased on September 5, 2001. On August 31, 2005 the church was incorporated.
On November 4, 2007, the church approved the recommendation to hire Miles Builders to construct the Christian Education and Recreation Building for a bid of just under $3.1 million dollars. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on Sunday, November 25, 2007.
The new facility was completed in July 2009. This building includes space for a gym, an enlarged kitchen, and additional rooms for Sunday School classes and Mission groups.
Sunday School History
The Sunday School at Shiloh is the basic organization for Bible teaching. The goals of our Sunday School are:
- To teach biblical revelation. The Bible is our textbook.
- To reach persons for Christ and church membership.
- To support the growth and fellowship of believers in Christ.
- To provide and interpret information regarding the work of the church and the Southern Baptist Convention.